We are now called long and complicated – "Borovichi Experimental Machine-building Plant", and once we were called simply "Knitting Needle" in an artel way. Yes, our factory "went-is" from the artel, organized in May 1934. The first staff of fifty people, as usual, produced the same knitting needles for the corresponding machines.
Further — more. During the war years, or, more precisely, in 1943, the Knitting Needle artel was renamed the Metalist artel, which produced not only needles, but also manual flat-flank knitting machines, ribbon-weaving units. They also repaired winding machines. The front needed warm clothes, parachutes, "sidors", and finally, the Borovichans did their job as best they could. And they did — conscientiously. After another 18 years, the artel became a factory, which in 1968 was renamed "Legmash". By this time, the company was already producing up to 1300 modernized flat-flank machines and up to 400 tape-spinning machines per year. In the year of the 100th anniversary of Lenin's birth, "Legmash" has become closer to modernity – it is renamed "Borovichi Experimental Machine-building Plant Pktimash". According to the order of the Ministry, the enterprise began to specialize in the production of prototypes of non-standard equipment, metalworking machines and automatic lines developed by the Moscow PKTIMASH, in accordance with the plan of technical re-equipment of enterprises of the ministry. By this time, 190 people were already working at the plant. It is now that jobs are being cut, or, at best, preserved. And then the main trump card of socialism was the absence of unemployment. That's why the staff of the small factory was steadily expanding. And by 1984, 384 people were working at the plant. By that time, the plant had undergone a complete reconstruction, new production facilities, an administrative and household building, and a powerful cluster boiler house were built. The nomenclature of production – prototypes and batches of special technological equipment, technical equipment. It was these products that allowed us to keep the plant – neither the bolt was sold, nor the machine. The main staff was saved, 120 people remained to work instead of 300.
In general, despite all the difficulties, the Borovichi Experimental Machine-building plant has not lost its profile, it has "preserved its face": more than half of the equipment produced today belongs to the non-standard class. And at any moment borovichans can increase this percentage, there would be orders. The nomenclature of the SBM-150M Hinge-balancing manipulator manufactured since 1983 has been expanded. This type of equipment is constantly being upgraded and finds its buyer. Thus, the plant does not miss a single opportunity to improve its performance.